Monday, September 22, 2008

Library research models

So many names for what we are doing! The Stripling and Pitts model is probably the most detailed, but I'm wondering if this is necessarily a good thing. It seems that you want a model that the kids can follow, there are obviously little bits of the main steps that need to be followed, but they might be quick and easy, or more fully developed, depending on the grade level of the students and the research task at hand. It would be nice to have a single model that is accepted by the majority of the teachers who use the libraries resources, so that the model is reinforced, and becomes second nature to the students. It would be nice to be able, as a teacher, not to have to start the project with the explanation of the model, and definition of the terms, before getting to the task at hand. I realize, that with a student population of over 1000, and a large teaching staff, the likelihood of reaching consensus on the matter is optimistic, but if we, as teacher librarians, present a single model to teachers when planning the units, the chances of having useful overlap are improved. One blogger noted that she was unaware of what model or models were being used, this is the case with me as well, since I too am not presently working in the library. If it were my preference, I would use the big six model, a few big headings are best and cover the same ground.

No comments: